April 27, 2010
Tomorrow is the Kingsley Tufts Awards… should be fun, it’s in Pasadena this time and at the Pasadena California Art Museum and should be a great reading and party. We will be having fun.. some writers are happy people, some are not.
Many writers aren’t very happy. Many people aren’t very happy. Unhappy people are excellent fodder for writing. I’m going to hibernate as much as possible this summer and write about unhappy people living unhappy lives. I grew up around many unhappy people, but I choose to live with happy people. I choose happiness. I don’t like bring around toxic people at all; I believe in making it all happen. You can’t always be happy about everything… sometimes you have to draw the line and say this or that displeases me.. well, if you’re a queen– you, ordinary mortal might just say this isn’t working for me.
But, I am all about avoiding negative energy, toxic people.. except when you’re writing.. then it’s fun… Of course, some have their own little coping mechanisms like taking way too many prescription drugs. In fact, half of Americans take prescription drugs; we are the most medicated nation on Earth. One in six of us is taking three or more medications. Adults using antidepressants have tripled in the last ten years and 10 percent of women take them and 4 % of men. According to Robert Whitaker, we’re a nation of people taking way too many drugs and we need to slow down. He says there are way too many ADD type drugs being prescribed as well. Amen to that brother.
Why do I think so many more women take antidepressants than men?
Here are few guesses.
- The pay gap between men and women is getting worse. http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/censusandstatistics/a/paygapgrows.htm
- Getting a job and respect is very hard if you are a woman.
- Being heard is very difficult if you are a woman.
- You are responsible for the kids.
- You are responsible for the house, the money, you, and him too.
- You have to have a job, make money and look like Sarah Jessica Parker.
However ladies, things to cheer you up so you can lay off the Prozac. Things that are better about being woman.
- It’s easier to get laid.
- You usually don’t go bald.
- You always have a network of girlfriends that love you.
- You have your kids and they love you.
- Dresses are fun.
- I like the part about being a woman where you walk into a room and people wish they knew you… I like that.. it’s yummy.
Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker